Monday, August 18, 2008

Home

I have dedicated a few months to living nomadically---I just returned from a journey to India and will leave for Europe in September to work on a project . I carry everything I need in my backpack; it's purple, ancient, and
weighs 10 kg .The items that it contains are carefully selected for practical or sentimental reasons.
Contents:
-Money/Passport/airline ticket/travellers cheques
-Tea makings: stainless steel cup, small heating element, tea bags
-Candle and matchsticks
-A small item from each person who is close to my heart.
-Journal and drawing material
-Anyman stickers (see website )
-Yoga mat
-Laptop
-Maps
-Bed sheet and pillowcase
-Needle and thread
-One pack of sugar free chewing gum
-The key to your apartment (you know who you are)
-Clothes: one change of underwear, one pair of long pants (with secret pockets), my purple Punjabi, sandals,green scarf
-Toiletries and supplements: face wash, dental floss,body oil, lice comb, sunscreen(factor 40), yellow face sponge ,baby shampoo,Neroli and Tea Tree essential oil, mosquito repellent, multi-vitamin and calcium, toothpaste and toothbrush, contraceptive pill.
-Sony Digital camera and sound recorder

I am documenting my journey and the daily routines that give me a sense
of being at home in whatever place I am in.

I am currently researching the idea of ‘home’ . I am asking people to describe (using words or images) ,what home means to them. What generates that feeling of security and belonging that makes you feel at home?
Is it the place you live, is it a person, a memory ,a material possession or a ritual/routine.
Is home a place?--if so then where and why
Is it a person(s)?--who and why
Is it a special possession that you carry with you?
Is it a combination of the above or none of the above?
What activities/routines make you feel at home?
What sounds ,smells,tastes,textures and sights do you associate with home?


No comments: